Translate

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Handmade With Love

A few years ago one of my friends from church suggested that we learn how to make jewelry. It sounded like such a great idea! We talked about it probably once or twice after that, but we didn't sign up for the class. Not long after I bought this beautiful necklace with turquoise bead balls with these really pretty small glass-style "chips". I really like it, but did not like the location of the turquoise. I decided to take it apart and redo it, but I first needed to know what I needed and how to do it. I found a hole-in-the-wall bead store in the city of Orange and I asked them what I needed. The lady was super friendly and after explaining how to do it, she encouraged me to buy my supplies elsewhere since they are a little over priced. During Black Friday in 2010 or 2011, I don't remember the exact year, I got all that I needed and took apart my very first necklace. Before I knew it I was OBSESSED! I was making necklaces, bracelets then I looked at some earrings I had that a friend made and attempted to duplicate it. I will admit, the first earrings I made were not pretty! I was not doing the loop of the metal that holds the beads correctly. With practice, I started to get better and better each time. I started to get compliments on the jewelry and people would tell me that they wanted to buy something similar. Then, my friend who goes with me to Guatemala on the medical missions suggested I sell the jewelry to have funds to buy vitamins for the trip. Another friend hosted my debut party at her house and that day I sold close to $600 worth of jewelry. Let me just say that I have been told that my jewelry is underpriced. Some may disagree, but it may be due to the fact that they probably buy non-glass/crystal jewelry.






The past 2 years I have gotten smarter as to where I buy my supplies, when to buy and the quality. I found these beautiful heart charms that I put on all of my pieces.


"Handmade With Love" this is how I make all of my jewelry because I know where the money goes. It goes to buy diapers, wipes, food and supplies for the orphanage in Guatemala. Also to buy vitamins, OTC medications for the medical brigade. I also buy food and supplies for orphanages and a village in Tecate, Mexico. We go there once a month. I will tell you more about that in a few days for we will be going this weekend. I don't just want to participate in holding babies, I also want to contribute in buying stuff for them. I have a Facebook page as well as an Instagram page for my jewelry. I just also opened an Etsy account, but I don't have that many things on it yet. Come an follow me :)
Facebook: www.facebook.com/handmadewithlovebyana
Instagram: @handmadewithlove81 
 
(Updat, I no longer have the store)